That didn't really mean much, but after reading several reviews on the net about Avenged Sevenfold's song from the 'City Of Evil' album titled 'Betrayed', I realised the song was actually a tribute to him. And I love that song. I just didn't realise until now.

"Dimebag" Darrell, a lead guitarist of Pantera and Damageplan(metal bands), was murdered in 2004 by one of his own crew. The full story is really sad, according to a Wiki entry. I will leave the link to the full story here but still summarise it for your convenience.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimebag_Darrell#Death
Apparently, one of his crewmembers was jealous of Dimebag's fame and talents, and this jealousy turned to hatred. During one of Damageplan's concerts, he pulled out a pistol and shot Dimebag five times, in the head on stage. This morbid death description was stuck in my head for a while, then suddenly all the lyrics seemed to fit together and make sense. This incident was really sad, I still couldn't believe it. People do stupid things.
Being Avenged Sevenfold's inspiration, they hence did this song.
"Betrayed"
Passion in my eyes, I lived it everyday
But how could you go throw it all away?
In my dreams it's me and you, it's there I saw it all come true
As time went by faith in you grew, so one thing's left for me to do
I feel it burn inside, burn in me like the rising sun
Lifted into the sky, took away the only thing I loved
I know after tonight all your power crumbles in my arms
So don't worry, I'll be fine, when my life ends, I'll leave this scar
A smoking gun in hand, now don't you realize what you've done
Put a bullet in his back, your hero since you were so young
How could you kill the man who brought salvation through your pain?
He must mean everything to end it all this shameful way
Just did it for the love, and people healed through us
Don't live you life in vain, don't take it out on me
You're cracked, so just remember, I'm not your enemy
I don't deserve to fall this way, by a man who felt betrayed
I felt so down now you're around to rescue me
Every note and every word I'm listening, yeah
Sometimes problems seem too deep to take
Sometimes I cry thinking my future looks so bleak
Finally, together we were destined, I know what's best for us in the end
Someone hear me, someone stop me, someone listen, why aren't you listening?
As time went by faith in you grew, so one thing's left for me to do.
In my dreams it's me and you, it's there I saw it all come true.
As time went by faith in you grew, so one thing's left--to finish you.
No comments:
Post a Comment